Friday, July 08, 2005

Starting point . . .

While my main site -- MikesPoints -- is being worked on, I'm posting here.

Before getting on to the nitty gritty, I want to thank Greg Brooks of West-Third Group and Greg-Brooks.com for hosting my main site.

Now for the real stuff. And, remember, you heard it here first: Within 10 years, maybe sooner, computer monitors will be on the way out.

They will be replaced by projections (likely 3-D) of what you now see on the screen. CRTs and flat screens will be the old technology. Users will just have a keyboard, with a little projector off the front to project whatever is being typed, or graphics, or games or other multi-media. The data will be projected into the air, not a backdrop.

After this "vision" came to me, I thought of the very first Star Wars movie, where R2D2 showed the message from Princess Leia to Obi-Wan Kenobi. Her image was projected from R2D2 in 3-D. So, that's what will replace computer monitoris within 10 years. Or sooner.

Maybe this is a startling prediction. Maybe it's not. We'll see.

No comments: